This Announcement Contains:
- Counselor Contact Information
- Questions about CHHS Classes
- Other Questions and Concerns
- Credit Recovery Options (check here for a great deal from CHHS)
- No Grade (NGs) Policy
- Fitness for Life Test Out
- Spring Sports Credit Procedure
- Preparation for Arena Scheduling
- Driver’s Education Information
- Utah Students Connect
Parents, Guardians, and Students,
Over the last several weeks, a typical high school education has undergone massive changes to accommodate health recommendations surrounding COVID 19. The school closure has certainly been an adjustment for students, parents, teachers, counselors, administrators, and all other educational support professionals. Please read this letter for some updated information from your School Counselors. Click here for some answers to frequent COVID 19 questions.
Parents and students, we would like to encourage you to “hang in there” as you learn to navigate the world of online classes.
Students – YOU CAN DO THIS. You have the ability to learn new skills quickly, especially those surrounding technology. Any new experience can be challenging but you can learn to be more self-sufficient, learn how to advocate for yourself with your teachers, and reach out (electronically) to your peers to find support in your classes. For more quotes on optimism, click here.
We are thinking of you and we wanted to let you know we are here to support you. Please let us know if you need anything. We’re happy to help!
Counselor Contact Information
If you need to contact your counselor, we ask that initial contact be made through email. Questions that cannot be addressed through email will be addressed by a phone call.
|Kris Strong (A-Bri)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Markie Harper (Brj – Dn)||email@example.com (385-269-0283)|
|Alicia Hendricks (Do – G)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Norm Coughran (H – K)||email@example.com|
|Derek Bennett (L – Mi)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Charlie Green (Mj – Q)||email@example.com|
|Melissa van Putten (R – Sq)||firstname.lastname@example.org (801-876-0121)|
|Theresa Benner (Sr – Z)||email@example.com|
Questions about CHHS Classes
- Jordan School District has established a Student and Parent Technical Support Hotline number (801) 567-8999. The hotline is available from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday (except April 9 and 10) for anyone in need of technical support for Google Classroom, Canvas, Chromebook, internet, etc.
- Parents and students are encouraged to reach out directly to their teacher if they are struggling with an assignment or an online class.
- Counselors are able to see grades and assignments on Skyward, but they do not have access to Canvas or Google Classroom.
- If you reach out to a counselor about a class question, they will either have you reach out to the teacher or they will email the teacher and ask them to contact you and provide clarification.
- Parents wishing to have access to their student’s Canvas account can follow these directions for more information.
Other Questions and Concerns
- All students are encouraged to reach out to their counselor with any questions or concerns.
- Seniors who have concerns about graduation requirements, credit recovery, etc. are highly encouraged to reach out to their counselor.
Credit Recovery Options
- Students who need to do credit recovery for failed courses are encouraged to work on them during the school closure. For a $50 fee, Copper Hills will be offering unlimited credit recovery now through the end of the school closure. Interested students should contact their school counselor to get started.
- For a full list of credit recovery providers, click here. Please note that credit recovery can only be done through providers that offer recovery credit.
No Grade (NGs) Policy
- Taken from CHHS COVID Frequently Asked Questions “Because we do not know if there will be time to make up attendance during 4th quarter, we are waiving all NGs for all grade levels for the 2019-2020 school year. In addition, we calculate that under normal circumstances, we would have offered approximately 30 attendance school sessions between Monday, March 16th and Monday, May 4th. Students with NG’s from the previous year(s) that would have attended these attendance school sessions were they actually offered, can claim credit for them at no cost by calling or emailing their assistant principal.”
- Please email your vice principal with any NG questions or concerns.
|Vice Principal||Email Address||Phone Number|
|Rufine Einzinger (A – Cn)||firstname.lastname@example.org||801-256-5315|
|Richard Price (Co – Ha)||email@example.com||801-256-5313|
|Glen Varga (He – Mc)||firstname.lastname@example.org||801-256-5389|
|Mark Halliday (Me – Ro)||email@example.com||801-256-5328|
|Jim Groethe (Rp – Z)||firstname.lastname@example.org||801-256-5316|
Fitness for Life Test Out
- The test out dates for Fitness for Life have been rescheduled for May.
- 9th -11th grade students are encouraged to wait until next year to test out of Fitness for Life.
- Seniors who are planning to test out of Fitness for Life for graduation are encouraged to prepare for the test by going to the Test Out website and viewing the requirements. The scoring rubrics are also available to view.
Spring Sports Credit Procedure
- Students who were on a team roster for a spring sport will have the option to receive credit for the participation which would have taken place.
- Students interested in receiving this credit will need to reach out to their head coach and vice principal through email, requesting their participation be noted and added to their graduation requirements. To ease the number of emails sent, please include your vice principal and coach in the same email.
- If your coach is not an educator at Copper Hills or you don’t have their email, please email your vice principal and they will be able to facilitate your request.
Preparation for Arena Scheduling
Arena Scheduling Dates
- Seniors: April 27 – 28
- Juniors: April 29 – 30
- Sophomores: May 1 – 4
This Arena Scheduling Information website has some great resources to help you begin to plan your schedule for the 2020-2021 school year.
Some of the resources available are:
- Master Schedule
- Required Classes for Sophomores and Juniors
- Arena Scheduling Tutorial
- Concurrent Enrollment Courses
- Graduation Requirements
Another great resource is the Arena Preparation Guide created by the school counselors.
Students can check what graduation requirements they have left to complete by logging into Skyward and selecting Graduation Requirements from the menu.
Please note that for the 2020-2021 school year, students’ core classes (Math, Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies) will be auto-scheduled based on the student’s course requests. Counselors have been checking course requests made by students, and some course requests may have been added to meet graduation requirements. Seniors who are taking creative writing for LA credit, you will want to add Creative Writing 1 if you have not already taken that class before you take Creative Writing 2. These can be adjusted during Arena Scheduling.
Driver’s Education Information
Drivers License Division has stated:
- The DLD is currently not doing any written or road tests.
- Let the applicant know we will renew their permit, free of charge, due to the current situation. If they are calling into the office let them know we will mail them out a new permit.
- If an applicant has a current permit we will extend the permit free of charge and honor their current written test. (even if the tests are currently expired)
- If an applicant calls or comes into an office and is inquiring about how to renew their permit these are the steps we will be taking during this time.
- They do NOT need to have a new application filled out. (we can use the information from the previous application.)
If a student wants to renew their permit, they can call the field office closest to them and give them the information and they will send them out another permit that’s not expired. They can find the phone numbers at dld.utah.gov under field stations and offices, then scroll down.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mr. Wright or Mr. Kapele.
Mr. Wright 801-230-0016
Mr. Kapele 801-699-4946
Utah Students Connect
- Students who are enrolled in USC Courses please continue to work diligently on any online classes you have enrolled in.
- Testing for any 12th Grade student will be May 7th.
- For issues regarding login, payment, or other general questions, please call 801-567-8381 or go to:
- 1) https://utahstudentsconnect.instructure.com/login/canvas
- 2) Use your school email in the ‘email’ field
- 3) Use UTSCchange7 as the password